Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fingerprints

Smudged again! My glasses can’t ever seem to stay clean! How DO they get so dirty? I mean, it isn’t like I’m putting my fingers all over my glasses every other second! At least I don’t THINK I am. However, there is some reason they are getting smudged!

Sliding glass doors – aren’t they wonderful? The view is so clear --- when they are clean! Usually they have to be cleaned often because someone left their fingerprints – not purposefully – just in passing . . .

Everyday we leave our fingerprints – most of the time we don’t even think about it! (Unless we have to clean them off!) In a much deeper sense of thinking, every day we leave fingerprints of the soul. Jesus tells us in Luke 6:43-45:“For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, not does a bad tree bear good fruit. For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good: and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.”

All of us touch someone – with our words, our actions, our reactions, our responses. We give, we take, and we live. By our every day living we leave behind the fingerprints of our soul. Many times they are unseen – but they are indelible – often creating an aura of legacy reaching beyond the span called a lifetime.

Recently my desire is strongly that the fingerprints I leave always have the Cross at the center. “Not I, but Christ!”

“O God, purify my soul so that the fingerprints I leave behind are not my own, but bear the markings of Christ. Gladly I exchange the shadows of the shallow to dive into You and allow You to make me into the person YOU desire me to become. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”


Take it with You
“For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain.” Philippians 1:21

No comments: