Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Jesus -- Our Older Brother

Growing up as an only child afforded me some wonderful privileges – and also some wants and wishes unfulfilled. One of those wishes was siblings. How I wanted a brother or sister with whom I could share things!

Two of my closest friends had younger brothers. Of course they didn’t exactly see it as a privilege, then! Whenever I went over to their houses the little brothers were forever “pestering,” my friends were forever trying to get them to leave us alone, and I was forever explaining how they were so “blessed,” and needed to be “thankful” for their brothers! Needless to say, that “explanation” wasn’t exactly “appreciated!”

Time hasn’t played waiting games for any of us, and motherhood has blessed me with five children. Getting in the van the other day, one of my older boys asked his younger brother to “please shut the door.” My youngest son’s developing muscles weren’t quite strong enough to accomplish the task, so my older son offered his help. With a reach and a push the door was easily closed – and I was reminded of the blessing of having a brother! (In this case -- an OLDER brother!)

This simple incident set my mind to thinking of the most awesome ways Jesus Himself fulfills this role for each individual. We needed to get to the Father – to be reconciled with His Holiness – to be enabled to receive His forgiveness and love. We didn’t have the strength to get there on our own. We couldn’t make ourselves holy enough – we couldn’t do enough good deeds to atone for our sin.

With a mighty love He descended from Heaven – our perfect, elder brother. Unrivaled in His role – unashamed to make us “HIS!” With the sacrifice of His own life He made the way for us to be reconciled to our Heavenly Father.

Sometimes in our daily living we have situations we simply are not strong enough to handle. We don't have the answers on our own. All of our "striving" seems to leave us weary -- with "the door not shut!" The calling of His name -- Jesus -- provides us with an older brother who has what we need to overcome. In EVERY situation we can find Him to be what we need.

Once again I am so thankful for Jesus!



Take it with You

“God, for whom and through whom everything was made, chose to bring many children into glory. And it was only right that he should make Jesus, through his suffering, a perfect leader, fit to bring them into their salvation. So now Jesus and the ones he makes holy have the same Father. That is why Jesus is not ashamed to call them his brothers and sisters. For he said to God, “I will proclaim your name to my brothers and sisters. I will praise you among your assembled people.” Hebrews 2:10-11 (NLT)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank Janene! So beautifully true! ~ Marty H. O.