Friday, January 13, 2012

Living Matters

   Did you know that Shimea had sixteen sons and six daughters, and they kept good family records? Did you know that Meshobab, Jamlech, Joshah the son of Amaziah . . . . as well as others in this family were leaders and they prospered and increased in numbers until they had to go looking for pasture . . . and they found it – “lush pasture, lots of elbow room, peaceful and quiet?” (I Chronicles 4)
   Did you know that God helped the families of Reuben, Gad, and the half-tribe of Manasseh when they fought against the Hagrites, Jeture, Naphish, and Nodab? Did you know that He helped them because they cried out to him during the battle – he answered their prayers because they trusted in Him? (I Chronicles 5)
   Did you know that David put people in charge to lead music in the house of the Lord after the ark came to rest there? (I Chronicles 6) Did you know that Zelophedhad had only daughters, and that Asher’s sons were all responsible, brave in battle, and excellent in character? (I Chronicles 7)
   By now you may be wondering – why does this matter? When I started reading I Chronicles I sort of thought the same thing. What in the world could I get out of this book of the Bible? Then, the Holy Spirit began to speak to my heart. ALL of these people have a place in carrying out HIS will for the world!
   Not just Adam, Abraham, Ruth, and Esther. Not only David, and Solomon, and Elijah, and Jonah . . . but the less familiar names as well. The fact is LIVING MATTERS! Life is a gift from God and what we do with the gift He has given us is important.
   His redemptive plan for the entire world is in motion – and all of us have a place within HIS plan. We are part of something so much bigger than the here and now. Everything matters.
   Do you think the sons and daughters of Shimea had any idea that it would be recorded in God’s Word that they kept good family records – or that Asher’s sons knew we would be reading in 2012 that they were responsible, brave in battle, and excellent in character?
   Nope. They just lived, every day, and their living is recorded.
   Today – live it to the fullest! Be EVERYTHING God wants you to be! Wherever you are, whatever you’re doing – give it your BEST! Living matters – now, and eternally!                                        



Take it with You

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Oh, I've been living today -- so happy it matters to God. Reminds me of "It's called life..."