Friday, April 27, 2012

So Used to the Dark

    Early one morning my two youngest sons and I headed off to the eye doctor. They were anxious and excited – wondering if they would need glasses, and asking a million and one questions about what was going to happen.

   Together we sat in the waiting room. Together we went in to see the doctor. As he worked through the process of checking them, he turned off the light and shined his smaller light so my eleven year old could see the projected light on the wall. That left my seven year old and I sitting “in the dark.” Our eyes adjusted the dim lighting, when all of the sudden, the doctor reached over and flipped the switch – sending a flood of bright light back into the room.

   “Whoaaa,” said my youngest, “I got so used to the dark . . . “ he trailed off, rubbing his eyes. He had gotten so used to the dark he couldn’t stand the light.

   There in the eye doctors the Holy Spirit made His application. So used to the dark . . . he couldn’t stand the light. The enemy of our souls has also been called the “angel of light.” He has lots of practice at deception! Often he leads us into “gray areas” that head us into the dark . . . and before we know it, we can’t STAND the light!

   Keeping a love for the Word of God, communing with Him, and fellowshipping with those who love the LIGHT will keep us from getting used to the dark! As His Spirit lives in us, He can give us those gentle warnings that keep us from “getting used to the dark.”

   

Take it with You



“I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.”

John 12:46

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Sometimes others are counting on us to spread the light. I want "This little light of mine" to shine for others, too.

Can't wait to see Britton in his glasses!