Tuesday, May 8, 2012


You Said What?
Communication is extremely wonderful.  However, it is constantly changing – and that can be a challenge for some of us.  Letter writing used to be a love of mine – actually still would be – but times have changed.  Finally, I declared I had to do more e-mailing because that IS the way lots of people communicate!  Now there is facebook and twitter . . . and the list goes on.
You see, out in the country where we live, we don’t have the modern convenience of “anywhere internet” yet. (At least at our house.)  A few months ago, I saw a DHL truck and seriously contemplated chasing it down . . . I thought it was DSL and it was in our area . . . I thought the driver needed to know that our area NEEDS INTERNET SERVICE!!!  Thankfully I didn’t – since DHL is a delivery service that operates much like UPS – and doesn’t have ANYTHING to do with internet service. Oh, my, you should have heard my family laugh over that one! 

When I was first learning to text, I had gone to the library to check my e-mail and work on some writing.  I needed my friends e-mail address, so I gave her a call on my cell phone.  Guess what? She texted me back.  So, here I am, patiently learning this wonderful communication.  All of the sudden another text comes through from my oldest son, Vincent.  Now I’m really “high tech.”  Two people going at once. (Quit laughing teens!)  By the time we were done, I was laughing so hard it was difficult to operate under the library rule of,  “quiet please.”  Poor Vincent didn’t have a clue what I was trying to say.  I think his last text to me was, “What?”  I finally gave up and said to one of the librarians something like, “I’ll just talk to him later.”

Yes, communication has been an art since the beginning of time.  As the old adage goes, “You can’t live with it – and you can’t live without it!”  Keeping up with the most modern ways can seem exhausting at times.  But a shared smile, an “I love you,” or just sharing over a cup of coffee are communication ways that never go “out of style.”

 There is one very important place that I frequent where I am always understood.  I can bring whatever problem I have – big or small.  Sometimes I really don’t have to say much – it’s better to listen.  See, it’s the secret place where I can commune with my Heavenly Father.  He doesn’t require a certain cell phone – I’m already on His list of favorites.  It never says, “all circuits are busy now” or gets confused in the garble of text messaging.  He loves, He hears, He knows, and He cares.

   It’s amazing what communicating with Him does!  See, from the beginning of time, when He said, “Let there be light,” His Word changes things.  Bringing Him my needs is such a privilege – listening to Him speak through His Word my lifeline. In this communion, He changes me, He changes others, and He changes circumstances.  It is in the secret place with Him that I can find comfort for my sorrow, forgiveness for sin, hope for my tomorrow, and the peace of knowing that whatever happens, He is Lord.    

Take it with You
"He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High, shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty."
Psalm 91:1

1 comment:

sarahmfry said...

Loved this. It spoke to my heart today. Thank you!