Friday, January 29, 2010

Led By a Child

I John 3 & 4
Church has been a part of my life as long as I can remember. I’ve heard many good sermons – lots of beautiful music – and even laughed my way through a few “memorable experiences.” It was an evening service I was attending this time. This particular group of people was unique. Many in attendance were foreign missionaries. They had gathered from around the world, home from their fields for furlough, or for a time of encouragement. Everyone in the service came with battles they were facing. Front line warriors know about warfare, and even the best warriors get weary. Some were praying and contemplating decisions that would permanently affect their futures, and the futures of their loved ones.
We had worshiped in song, and now the leader was giving us a chance to worship by sharing how God had helped us personally.
I’m sure many people stood and gave praise. But you know it’s funny; I don’t remember the words of any other person who shared that night, except one.
She was just a little, bitty thing. Brown hair, blue eyes, all of two years old. She stood up on the seat and stated her testimony loud and clear. She didn’t say the expected, “I love Jesus,” or, “Pray for my dog.” This little girl, in her childish speech, all of seven words, gave a profound truth. Quite understandably she simply stated, “God loves me with all His heart.”
The effect was amazing. Watching from the platform, I remember specifically the look on one missionary’s face that sat on the front row. I don’t know everything he had faced that year, but I know that spiritual warfare had been heavy. This child, with her simple, truthful, statement worked wonders in hearts, and left imprints on minds that would never be forgotten. Tears got all mixed up with smiles and perhaps losses changed to victories as we realized one more time, God loves us with ALL His heart!
Oh, God, help me to accept the wonderful gift of Your love. Wipe off the lens of my glasses, adjust my binoculars. Help me to see, even through the rough places of life, that you love me, with all Your heart.

Take It with You
“How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God.” I John 3:1 (NIV)

No comments: