Thursday, January 28, 2010

Worth Getting Close

Mark 5:24-34
It was a cool, but sunny, January day in Florida. I was getting “house fever,” so my husband and I took a drive into town to do a few necessary errands. On the way “little guy” fell asleep. So, rather than go into a restaurant and take the chance of him awakening and filling customers with a lusty scream, we ordered from a drive through and headed to a local park.
This park has a beautiful lake, and around the waters edge were over 40 hungry seagulls, and a few ducks. As we neared the conclusion of lunch, my husband decided to take the “leftover” fries and feed them to the seagulls. If you’ve never done this, it’s quite an amazing experience. Every seagull on the place is determined to have its piece of fry!
No sooner had he distributed his fries, when the cutest yellow duck, with a tuft of white fur on top its head came waddling along. It was a long ways away, but here it came, hoping against hope that a piece of fry would remain once it arrived at the right spot. It didn’t have a chance! The seagulls swooped and flew and there wasn’t a crumb left. I felt so sorry for that duck! It waddled all that way for nothing.
Scrounging around, I found a few other food remains in the bag. Problem -- how to get them to the duck BEFORE the seagulls found them. That yellow duck kept waddling closer and closer to our van. The black, little, beady eyes searched the ground as it waddled along. My husband stood behind the door and made coaxing sounds. The seagulls watched -- at a distance. The yellow duck got closer, and closer. Surely it was fighting a little fear of the unknown. I mean, come on, it was definitely not in its “comfort zone.” Besides, how did it know we’d even give it anything if it did get close? Still, it kept coming closer. Soon it was close enough to receive its reward. No seagull got that piece of food. No sireee! It belonged to that waddling, yellow, duck with the tuft of white on top.
O, Lord, help me to not be satisfied with ordinary “morsels.” Wipe off the lens of my glasses, adjust my binoculars. Help me to take time to get close to You. Help me to trust You when you lead me out of my “comfort zone,” and know, You will draw near to those who draw near to You.
Take It With You
“Come near to God and he will come near to you.” James 4:8a (NIV)

No comments: