Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tough Spots

Matthew 11:25-30
Listening from my bedroom I could hear what to others may sound as pandemonium. The trumpet practice sounded from another bedroom. The violin was being played vigorously in the living room. Who knows what my daughter was doing . . . and our almost three year old ran around the house keeping his eye on everything and everyone.
Soon my ear began to pick up the sound closest to me. The violin. Quickly my son flew through the first part of the piece. It sounded great. Then, all of the sudden, he came to a spot that wasn’t so familiar. He slowed down -- kept on going -- but struggled along to the finish. His jubilee at the end was amazing. “I did it! I played all of it! Did you hear that, Mom?” He had finished the piece. He wasn’t worried about the “tough spots.” He had played through it, and he knew the next time through would be easier, and the next, and the next, until finally, the whole piece sounded as good as the beginning.
Ever been in a “tough spot?” Perhaps life hasn’t given you any. Hang on. Most likely it will.
Sometimes we have had so many “tough spots” we don’t feel like trying again. The hurts have been many. People betray us, friends forsake us, the whole world we know seems to mock us. We are so tired. The wounds of our soul are open and raw. Tired of the aching, the longing, the waiting.
The words of Jesus remain, “Come, to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”(Matt. 11: 28 NIV) The problem seems to be in “come.” See, then we have to trust again. Then we have to lean. We can’t zip through this part of life’s song. We don’t even want to keep playing. But, He says, “come.” And, when we do, His strength helps us keep the song going. It might be slow. We may have to pause to figure out some notes, but we keep playing. Someday when our life’s song is finished, our jubilee will be unmatched as we hear the words, “Well, done my good and faithful servant.”
O, Lord, give me strength to keep playing life‘s song. Wipe off the lens of my glasses, adjust my binoculars, and through my tears help me see the notes of the music You have for me. Give me the faith to trust, the courage to lean, the strength to rest, and the wisdom to play the song as You want it played.

Take It With You
“The Lord replied, ‘My Presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest.”
Ex. 33:14 (NIV

No comments: