Friday, April 2, 2010

Remembering Calvary

Driving down route 24, from Roanoke to Moneta, I couldn’t help but notice the moon – large, orange, and visibly sharing its stately beauty. The farther I drove the higher it rose – losing the orange glow – but possessing the silent white light that sends its glow upon the darkened earth.

Soon I was home -- weary from the day, and definitely ready for a night of rest. Just as I was headed for dream land, my husband said, “Do you see that?” “See what” I groggily responded. “Look at the moon” he replied. I dragged myself up just enough to say I saw it – but what I saw caused my weary eyes to open wide. “There’s a cross in it!” I remarked – astounded. And there was. The moonbeams were giving out their rays in the form of the cross. It was even more unique to us, because the next day was “Good Friday” – the day set aside to remember – remember Calvary.

It’s hard to imagine One so good being betrayed by someone who had been one of His own disciples! To be crucified by the very ones He came to save. Yet we ALL have sinned against Him. Those days carried the excruciating moments that He purposefully bore – clear through to the death, so we may have eternal life.

With His final words, “It is finished,” the redemptive plan was put in place. He became the greatest Sacrifice. His blood was shed to bring forgiveness – given to “cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

There was no other way to restore our broken relationship with God, our Father. No other way to redeem our soul and give us life eternal. He took it. In love that is like no other He took the way of suffering for us. He bore the Cross – and in His death we glory – for it is He who breathes in us and through us -- life.

In the hurry and scurry of getting ready for Easter morning, let’s take time to remember the cost of the empty tomb. His death upon the Cross came before the glory of the morning. He died for me – He died for you. What love! What unexplainable, matchless love!

Written by: Janene A. Dubbeld/FGG

Take it with You

“When he had received the drink, Jesus said, ‘It is finished,’” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit” (John 19:30).

No comments: