Wednesday, April 28, 2010

What If?

It was bed time. I sat down on the edge of the bed with my two sons, ages seven and three – ready to tell them a story. They wanted it, “from a book” – so, I headed to the bookshelf, and ended up reading several Bible stories instead of just one. Then, my seven year old ask a question that many of us have asked through many election cycles. “What will happen to our country if ________ gets elected? (You can fill in the blank according to your own views.)

It stopped me for a moment. He was seriously concerned. His little mind was taking in more of the “news” and all of the happenings around him than I realized. I simply had to tell him the truth. We will still trust Jesus! Our hope is in Him. He wasn’t convinced. He asked me again, “But mommy, what will happen if . . .” Again, my assurance had to come from Truth. We will still trust in Jesus – He is our hope! He didn’t keep questioning. But, if he asks again, guess what . . . the answer has to be the same. No human being can be the resting place of the Source of our Hope for tomorrow. Jesus Christ is our Hope. (Psalm 39:7) He is our Peace that passes all understanding in a world that seems in constant conflict. (Ephesians 2:14)

Adults -- what is our responsibility to those who follow us? How should we take in what is happening around us? Bury our head in the sand, and act like it doesn’t exist? Leave the responsibility to someone else and “hope for the best?” According to II Chronicles 7:14, we have some specific things to act upon if we would like the God of Heaven to hear, and heal our land. When I look into the eyes of my children, more than ever before, the healing of our nation is my fervent desire. I long for them to be able to grow up and enjoy the freedom of worship we have today.

Notice, God is talking to us. He says, “If MY people, who are called by MY name shall humble themselves and pray. . .” there’s step one. Humbling ourselves and praying. Stopping long enough, on purpose, from our hectic schedules to get on our knees and acknowledge our incredible need of Him.

There won’t ever be “enough time” – we have to make the time for what is priority in our lives. “Seek my face . . .” step number two. Not just a prayer before we “pass the bread”, but a longing, a seeking after, a looking for HIS FACE! When we are earnestly seeking His face, He can search us, and see if there be any wicked way in us.(Psalm 139: 23-24) This leads us to step number three – whatever He shows us, actively turning away from it – making sure there are no “idols” in our life. That God is truly our FIRST priority. This obedience is the “key in the lock” that opens the door for Heaven to hear, to forgive our sins and God promises He will heal our land.

Recently, I heard of an incident where someone asked a question of this nature. “Has any nation every returned from the state of apathy.” A Jew was listening, and when he heard the question he replied with words somewhat like this, “Only one, the nation of Israel.”

Let’s make it two! May it begin right here, right now!? What if we take time!? What if we humble ourselves and pray!? What if we seek His face!? What if we turn from our wicked ways!? God keeps His promises we know!

Our obedience needs to be immediate. We need to begin today. There isn’t another moment to lose. We can’t let it be like the proverbial beginning of a diet . . . tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. What if we begin today? What if we wait?

By: Janene A. Dubbeld

Take It With You

“If my people who are called by my name shall humble themselves and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven, and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.” II Chronicles 7:14

No comments: