Friday, February 4, 2011

The Greatest of These is Love

“Remember, you’re supposed to love each other!” My voice says again. “The Bible says love is the most important thing . . .” Anyone else been guilty of quoting these words to a van full of children, as you roll 65 miles per hour down the intestate? I mean, I grew up an only child. There wasn’t anyone else to blame – if it was done, I did it. There wasn’t any one to “fervently disagree” with – no one to have a “creative discussion” with -- I certainly wasn’t going to talk back to my parents! So, here I am, the mother of five – never having grown up with a sibling.

Now, before you draw the “all too familiar” conclusion that I was a “spoiled brat” let me tell you a story. Believe me, people rarely give any “only child” the “benefit of the doubt.” As soon as they find out you’re an “only child” they give you that knowing look and you know the words that are coming next. Once, my parents introduced to a preacher they knew but I had never met. I’ll never forget what he said. When he found out I was the proverbial “only child,” he said, “Well, that makes you special, doesn’t it.” I’m not sure what my face registered, but it was quite a shock to hear those words!

 I am sure I had more “things” than children who share with lots of siblings, but I never did get everything I wanted. I begged for a horse for years upon end . . . to no avail! Certain dresses I was so excited about – if they “cost too much” forget it! And, to beat it all, I was expected to be THANKFUL for the SMALLEST gift. It could have been a “toothpick” from “Golden Corral” but I BETTER say thank you and truly appreciate the act of thoughtfulness - - from my heart. (Thank God my parents DIDN'T give me everything I wanted!)

At any rate . . . back to the fact. Because I never HAD a brother or sister, sibling rivalry never even entered my head as a “situation.” Why does it matter what seat you sit in? You’re in the van aren’t you? It wasn’t a real issue (at least most of the time) how long I was in the shower. But seven people needing the shower can certainly make that an issue! LOL! It seems that all of us encounter ways to “learn about loving,” and it can definitely start in our families. It’s comforting to know we’re not the only family on the journey. Walking across the parking lot to a store, I saw a young family in a mini van just outside. As the side door was closing, I heard the man in the driver’s seat, who I presumed was “dad” saying, “All right, everybody in the back just calm down!” I had to smile. Life is pretty much “normal” for all of us.

However, loving is a very important part of life. Scripture commands us to, “love God with all our heart, soul, mind, body, strength” . . . and “to love our neighbor as ourselves.” (Matt. 22:37, 39) Relationships with others are the most important thing in the world outside of your personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Amazingly, this love begins at with our families. Parents, grandparents, guardians, our responsibility is a big one. Our love for God and our love for each other are foundational blocks in our homes. Time growing in these areas is always well spent. We often take the time to just simply read I Corinthians 13 together. Why? Because there is SO MUCH room for ALL OF US to grow in that chapter!

This month is often known as the “love month.” I have a challenge for you. Gather your family together, and read I Corinthians 13 as a family. If you’re children are old enough, perhaps discuss ways you can be a more “loving” family. If your children are gone, or too young, discuss it with your spouse – or simply read it for yourself, and ask God how He can help you be better at loving. Let’s start February off with an awesome goal – loving God more – and each other better! See you” in I Corinthians 13!
By: Janene Dubbeld/FGG

Take it with You
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."
I Corinthians 13:13

No comments: