Monday, March 21, 2011

What God Can Use

“Jesus loves me when I’m good, when I do the things I should,

Jesus loves me when I’m bad, tho’ it makes Him very sad.”

He sang it with a thoughtful countenance – and sang it again, and again, and again – ever since learning that verse in pre-school it had been a favorite verse of “Jesus Loves Me” to him.

He carried on with the chorus; “Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes, Jesus loves me! The Bible tells me so.”

Our church was going on a forty day fast together, and the children were also getting involved. This same child who loved this verse of song was small, but I still wanted him to be involved. So, I asked him what he wanted to fast from. “I want to fast from a million forty trillion dollars . . .”

I laughed. “You can’t fast from something you don’t have!”

Clearly he needed some guidance on what “fasting and prayer” was really all about. Then, it hit me. As adults it’s much easier to promise something we don’t have!

“God, if you’ll just give me that new job, I’ll give half of my income to you,” and He asks – “what about just ten percent of what you already have?”

“God, if you let me have a new place I promise I’ll invite people over for a Bible Study,” and He just desires that you share your faith now – wherever He opens the door!

“God, give me a church of three hundred and I will go and pastor,” and God asks, “will you go and begin being faithful anywhere I call?”

God doesn’t ask us to do more than He will enable us for, but He does want us to OBEY Him fully in whatever He asks us to do, and walk by faith. He really DOES love us – and He has a path for us to follow that brings great joy – even when endurance must take us through hard times.

Give Him all that you are, all that you have, all that you desire to be – that’s all He desires – that’s what He can use!

Take it with You

“Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to you I lift up my soul.”

Psalm 143:8

No comments: