Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Place at the Table

There is just something special about the dinner table. (Or supper table, whichever you prefer to call it!) Although I didn’t realize it, I learned its importance as a child. I ate my lima beans – at the dinner table. I could share whatever I wanted – at the dinner table. We laughed and talked – at the dinner table. Strength was gained – at the dinner table.

As the seasons of our life have changed – so has the dinner table. Even in the chaotic world of children’s activities, ministry “musts,” and teenage work schedules we strive to gather around the “dinner table” as much as possible! Sometimes we eat early – so whoever is going out the door can eat with us. Sometimes we eat later – until everyone can get home . . . but we work for it. It’s important!

It is a bit different than mine as a child – as I was the only child there! Now there are many . . . talking over each other – at times we have even created a “floor” (which is usually a folded up napkin) and whoever has the “floor” gets time to speak! (It works . . . for awhile!)

One evening recently we were getting ready for dinner when my daughter asked, “Is grandma coming?”

“I’m not sure,” I responded, “Just go ahead and set her a place at the table.”

In that instant, it came to me. That’s how it is with God! He has a very large table, full of the finest, richest foods – which are all “good for you!” It’s set – and there is a place for each of us – he wants us to come – will we?

He has designed it by grace, and ladened it with love, mercy, forgiveness, joy, peace . . . and he keeps on filling it with the foods we need, we just have to “take time to eat.” Find strength – at His table!

There’s always room.

Take it With You
Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.
Revelation 3:20

No comments: