Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Groundhogs and Carrots

It was “confession time” in the van. Oh, not the serious kind of confession – but the involuntary “sister brought it up,” laughter, “hope mom and dad laugh” kind of confession. One of our boys had gone, “ground hog” hunting . . . unbeknown to us.

He didn’t carry a gun – and it wasn’t “premeditated hunting.” Walking with a friend from one location to another, they saw a ground hog poking his head out of a hole. So . . . boys being boys, they found a stick and waited for it to pop its head out just one more time. Out came the head, boom went the stick, whimper went the ground hog . . . and off went the boys.

Off course mom got after him . . . wouldn’t you? That poor ground hog. Never mind all the holes they make in the yard. I felt so sorry for him sticking his head out to enjoy some sunshine and getting bopped soundly on the head.

Ever felt like that? Maybe life has brought you many “bumps on the head,” and just when you were ready to face it again – here came another one.

Well, if there is anything I’ve discovered in my “short 42” years of living . . . it’s that life isn’t without its bumps and bruises! Gracious! Sometimes it seems like the proverbial “carrot before the cart.” You go to reach for it . . . and someone moves it ahead again . . . just a little farther.

However, no matter how many “bumps on the head” or seemingly “unattainable carrots” life has a way of continuing on . . .

In my “short 42” years of living, I have made another discovery. A most wonderful one in fact . . . more than just a discovery . . . I have found a relationship. A relationship with One who is touched by what we feel . . . has experienced life on this earth, and has promised to never leave us – to never forsake us. Jesus Christ. What a wonderful Friend – what a marvelous Savior.

So, on the days when my head gets bumped as soon as I stick it up to “smell the roses” – or when the carrot gets moved yet again . . . He’s where I go.

Marvelously His love gathers me up and holds me close – His grace enables me to keep walking – and His healing and strength become mine! Guess what? He’s there for you too! Just ask.

Take it with You
“For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.” Hebrews 4:15

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Janene for another great devotional. I appreciate you.
Esther