Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Resolution for a Life-time

The morning had come – early morning to be sure, but in those waking moments He was speaking. Speaking through the words of a song we had sung in our church the Sunday before . . . “deigns to call be His beloved, let’s me rest beneath His wing . . . all for Jesus, all for Jesus . . .” the comfort of those words penetrated my troubled mind. He calls me HIS BELOVED! HE let’s me REST beneath His wing.

Because “deigns” is not a word we readily use in our culture, I looked it up to be sure I knew what it meant. I found meanings like, “condescend, consent, to give or grant.” The God of Heaven “consents” or “grants” us the privilege of being so dear to Him He calls us His beloved. He makes a place for us to rest from the harshness of our world. A place of peace and comfort. A place of love and forgiveness. A place of deepest soul needs met.

The warmth of His Presence, along with those words, draws me up close to bask in the glory of His love, to rest in the confidence that I am His, to learn once again – He is the One with my answer.

“All for Jesus,” was written clear back in 1871. It’s words were penned by a lady by the name of Mary D. James. She must have had an amazing relationship with the Lord to write such lyrics. There’s a verse that isn’t in our hymnals today – probably because it’s “Old English” wouldn’t be readily understood --- but the meaning is awesome.

“Worldlings prize their gems of beauty

Cling to gilded toys of dust

Boast of wealth and fame and pleasure

Only Jesus will I trust.”

Then . . .

“Oh, what wonder how amazing,

Jesus, glorious King of Kings

Deigns to call me His beloved

Let’s me rest beneath His wings.”


All for Jesus, all for Jesus

All my days and all my hours

All for Jesus all for Jesus

All my days and all my hours.

Oh yes!

Since my eyes are fixed on Jesus

I’ve lost sight of all beside

So enchained my spirit’s vision

Looking at the Crucified.

The trusting, the resting, the surrender – comes from a vision centered on Christ. O Jesus, give me a renewed vision!

The story is told that Mary James wrote this hymn at New Years – as a resolution for the year ahead. Looking back on her year just lived she wrote, “I have written more, talked more, prayed more, and thought more of Jesus than in any previous year, and have had more peace of mind, resulting from a stronger and more simple faith in Him.”

Keeping our vision on Him – giving all for Him – it’s a resolution not for a year, but for life-time. And . . . we don’t have to wait for January – we can allow Him to renew our vision TODAY!

Take It with You

“Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings.” (Psalm 63:7)

No comments: