Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Over The Top

Caleb was a one of God’s warriors. We looked last week at one of his greatest accomplishments in life — he WHOLEHEARTEDLY followed the Lord. In Caleb’s life, he had another accomplishment. Caleb was a Dad. His obedience to God granted favor not only in his own life, but also to his children. (Josh. 14:9)

Caleb evidently didn’t get the “memo” that you are supposed to not do any more exploits for God after a certain age. At age 85 he declares, “. . . I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out . . .” Then, he makes a request, “Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day . . .” Sure enough, his request was granted. Joshua blessed Caleb, “and gave him Hebron as his inheritance.”(Joshua 14:13)

One time when my children were smaller, I can remember one of them asking for something simply because their “mama” did. At the end of their request, they made this statement, “I want everything you want.” They didn’t really desire it on their own, they just wanted it because I did.

As we read further on in Joshua, we see Joshua’s daughter, Acsah, learning well from her father. She urges her husband to ask her dad for a field. But she wasn’t satisfied with just a field. She desired what would turn that field into something valuable. Springs of water. Without water there couldn’t be grazing for animals. Without water their couldn’t be healthy crops. And so, learning from her father, she does simply what he did. She asks.

Caleb was a wise and loving father. You can tell he knows his daughter well, for when she begins getting off her donkey, he immediately asks, “What can I do for you?”

Once he knows her requests, he doesn’t just meet her bare minimum, he goes “over the top.” He doesn’t just give her one spring, but two! He gives her the “upper” and “lower” springs . . . Water that would last.

What is it we desire from our Heavenly Father’s hand? As we seek His Kingdom first, we can know all the “other things” will be given to us as well. When we walk in obedience, seek His Kingdom first, and simply ASK and our Heavenly Father will give us, “over the top.” Ask largely . . . He’s a BIG God!

Janene Dubbeld/FGG

Take it with You
“One day when she came to Othniel, she urged him to ask her father for a field. When she got off her donkey, Caleb asked her, ‘What can I do for you?’ She replied, ‘Do me a special favor. Since you have given me land in the Negev, give me also springs of water.’ So Caleb gave her the upper and lower springs.” Joshua 15:18-19

No comments: