Monday, January 10, 2011

Out with the Trash!

   Saturday morning was here again! "Why do we always clean on Saturday?" asked one of my smaller children. We gave the explanations of why our family "does what it does." We want the house to look nice for Sunday . . . we want to be ready for another week . . . (I left off the, "and we don't live like pigs around here!:)
   This particular Saturday was different. My husband and I were going to help out a friend, so, we discussed who should do what, and left a detailed list before leaving for part of the day. When we returned, the house looked great. Everyone seemed calm, and on task.
   As the day progressed, it soon became evident that one job had gotten "missed" in the agenda of things. Fixing supper found me with a dilemma. There simply was no more room in the trash can, and beside the trash can were bags that had been gathered from other areas in the house.
   I didn't even have to "check the list." I knew who hadn't finished their jobs! It simply had to be taken care of in order for life to continue in an "even flow." The responsible person had to step up and be responsible!
   This scenario kept replaying in my mind. I thought of the "planning session" my husband and I had at the beginning of the new year. Planning to "declutter," to reorganize, to get on "out with the trash." Through these simple things, my mind was drawn to the Word of God.
   The Apostle Paul clearly speaks to us of our spiritual responsibilities in Ephesians chapter 6: 25-32. There is some "trash" we need to PUT out and KEEP out of our lives! Put away lying -- and sinful anger -- not allowing the sun to go down on your wrath. KEEP OUT the devil -- don't give him ANY place. Put away stealing -- work hard instead, so giving to the needy can be a part of your lives. Watch what you say!!! NO corrupt word -- only words that build up and bring grace.
   He sums it up in the last two verses of the chapter: "Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you."
   Out with the trash! No room in the life of we as believers for this kind of trash! We have to put it out and keep it out!
   And, in it's place we can have the sweet, gentle Holy Spirit to cleanse us and fill us up with Him

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Janene, thank you so much for your lesson today. I have been struggling for the past 10 months with anger and hatred toward my husband of 29 years who walked out on our family for an old girlfriend from high school. The pain and hurt was so incredible. Today I was able to pray for him and ask God to soften his heart toward those who love and care for him I know there is no chance for reconciliation. I was under such bondage and unable to serve my God but now I am free to serve and worship Him who is the love of my life. The future is still uncertain but I know He will provide for my needs.

Jen said...

This also speaks to me about the importance of each one of us doing what God has called us to do. If we don't do our part, the body of Christ suffers and it hinders God's work.