Thursday, June 3, 2010

“Rude” or “Woo’d”

“Have you ever been wude?” My five year old son asked me seriously. “Rude?” I responded. “Well, I imagine I have sometime – although I certainly never try to be.”

“No, not ‘wude’ . . . ‘wude’ . . .” he continued – in earnest. “What?” I was certainly trying to figure out what he was trying to say – but not succeeding very well. Finally he said, with a grin that lit up his eyes, “You know, like with flowers. . . . “ “OH!” I laughed, “You mean like something wooing you?”

That was what he meant – and I was thoroughly surprised! How did he even know that word – or what it meant at age five? Upon inquiry, it had come for a kids video where an older gentleman was attempting to “woo” her widowed grandmother – and desperately trying to figure out what kind of present would be the best.

“You are way too young for that!” I quickly assured him. I couldn’t even believe he remembered that word at five. It’s not like it is used in common household conversation or anything.

After the laughter, this incident sent my mind retracing the steps of my childhood – remembering songs I had heard sung as a child and young person. Songs that used the term “woo” in a different sense. Used as a descriptive way to express our seeking Savior, wooing our hearts to come to Him, to know Him personally.

The word “woo” had synonyms like “persuade,” “encourage,” and “pursue.” Isn’t it amazing to think of Christ in this way? We turned our back on him, and yet in His incomprehensible love, he continued to pursue us – to “woo” us to Himself. He doesn’t offer us a bouquet of flowers – but gave Himself – the Rose of Sharon – to take our place for our sin!

Oh, yes. I have been, “wooed” – and in the words of an old song . . .

“I have made my choice forever ‘twixt this world and God’s own Son . . .

Naught can change my heart no never – He my heart has fully won. . .”

It’s written in “old English” and it for sure is an “old song” but the truth of its words is new again to me today. I have made my choice – FOREVER! As Anne Graham Lotz has been known to say, “Just give me Jesus!”

Take it with You

“. . . rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!” I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.” John 14:6b-7

No comments: