Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Going Fishing

   Grandpa had an orchard. Even after he and Grandma were no longer operating it, my parents and I would visit there. We usually visited in the fall of the year, and my cousin Tony and I had an absolute ball of fun together. He was around the same age as I, with the neatest ideas, and an awesome little laugh. We would throw green hedge apples, run around in the crisp, country air, and simply enjoy childhood.

   One lovely day, we decided we were going fishing. Now, the “pond” was a rather large mud puddle in their gravel driveway, and our fishing poles were sticks, but we were having the time of our life – “fishing.” Somehow, I managed to get a stick bigger than Tony’s. He didn’t necessarily like this idea, especially at the ripe old age of six or seven, and was determined to “one up” me. So, he headed to the garage and brought back a regular fishing pole. Of all the nerve! My “six year old brain” wasn’t quite sure what to do about this situation, so I just “continued fishing.” Tony took a mighty swing over his head to cast out his line – and the next thing I remember was howls that surely must have awakened any sleeping cows for at least two counties over! The “fantastic fishing pole” was even more “fantastic” than He knew! It really did have a hook on the end of it, which had gotten itself firmly imbedded in my cousin’s scalp. We began a “trudging retreat” to the house, his howls seemingly louder by the moment. Out the front door flew my Aunt Mat and my mom. “What on earth is wrong?” They wanted to know. One look at Tony and their questions were answered. He had “gone fishing” but certainly hadn’t caught the right thing!

   When I picture Jesus walking by the Sea, his relaxed confidence is what strikes me. He saw Simon Peter, and Andrew – He knew they were fishermen. They weren’t “catching” what He desired them to “catch.” He didn’t see them as they were at the moment -- He knew what He could help them become. There is no hesitation in His tone when He calls them. He uses the trade they are familiar with in order to drive his point home – “Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Matt. 4:19 He wanted to take them from fishing for earthly, temporal, fish, to fishing for people. What a calling!

   Their ready obedience inspires my heart again – this day -- to respond the same way to His calling. They didn’t even take time to clean up the boat! “They immediately left their nets and followed him.” Matt. 4:20 (NKJV) Jesus had a plan – and they were ready to do their part when asked.

   It wasn’t their obligation to make themselves into the kind of fishermen that Jesus needed. Jesus had that all under control! Their obligation was to obey, and allow HIM to MAKE them into the fishers of men He needed them to be. No amount of outward “clean up” can possibly take the place of the work Jesus Christ does in our lives from the INSIDE OUT!

   Today, we are a part of His desire expressed in II Timothy 3:9. “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” (NIV) “A few here and there” isn’t His desire; He wants “everyone to come to repentance.” He has a place in His Kingdom work for us. Our obligation is to listen and obey what He wants us to do – and allow Him to make us into the “fisherman – or woman” He can make us to be. He wants to help us fish – and catch – for eternity.

Written by: Janene A. Dubbeld/FGG

Take it with You
Then He said to them, ‘Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ They immediately left their nets and followed Him.” Matthew 4:19&20 (NKJV)

1 comment:

Florida Bozone Bunch said...

Great story! I am so glad Jesus still calls today!