Thursday, February 11, 2010

Short Cut

Psalm 119:25-32

"I have chosen the way of Truth; Your judgments I have laid before me." Psalm 119:30

To say the day was "busy" would have been an understatement at best. In the midst of this demanding schedule, I was suddenly off on a very important "dual" mission! Pick up the children from school, and get the baby from the babysitters. The problem was, distance to both seemed too far for the schedule I “HAD” to meet, and they certainly weren’t right beside each other!

Even though we hadn’t lived in this area real long, I knew the way to school, and I knew the way to the baby sitters. However, on the way to school, I came to a stop light and "thought" that if I turned left, that would be a "short cut" to the road that would take me to the babysitter. I didn't "know" for sure, but I "thought" this would save me time – and I desperately needed any extra minute I could find.

It wasn't long after this decision I began to realize I was in real trouble. I was zig zagging through the countryside, flying around curves, not at all sure where I was, but hoping against hope I would end up on the right path. I came to another crossroads, and very decidedly, I made a left. Now I was fairly confident I was headed in the right direction. Wrong.

At the end of the “time saving shortcut,” I ended up miles from where I needed to be, and farther away than when I had started! I had made a complete circle and was actually beyond my house – which had been my starting point. As I went "flying by" my house -- which I had left 30 minutes earlier -- I honked and waved at my bewildered husband and father-in-law who were in the yard. When I finally reached my destination, you can be sure I was determined (at least at that moment) to never take another "shortcut!"

Staying on the right path takes daily choices to walk in His Truth. Walking in the Light of His Word, hearing His call, obeying His voice -- these may take you on a faith walk into "unfamiliar territory” but not on an "unknown shortcut!"

Janene A. Dubbeld/FGG

Take It With You!

"I have chosen the way of Truth; I have set my heart on your laws. . . I run in the path of your commands, for you have se my heart free." Psalm 119:30&32

1 comment:

Miranda said...

I needed this, there are no shortcuts in growing closer to God!