Sunday, February 28, 2010

Top of the Perch

Psalm 136

He sat on the top of the perch. At least in HIS mind he was higher than “all the rest.” He had asked to sit there. He WANTED to be up there. It was his earnest goal – at least for the moment -- my two year old -- on the kitchen bar stool.

He was completely satisfied -- until the cereal ran out. Suddenly, what he had wanted so badly became a trap. He was stuck. He couldn’t get down. What was he going to do?

There was no other way out. He had to call. Call loudly help! Call for mom, for dad, for ANYONE to help him “get down” from that terribly high place. He didn’t want to be there anymore! It was awful. The cereal was gone. His feet didn’t touch the floor. It was scary!

Ever been there? Even though we’re “all grown up?” The grass looked so much greener over there -- until we reached –“there.” The deal looked great -- until AFTER it was signed. The road looked smooth -- until it turned in a completely different way -- and we were left calling. Calling for Someone to rescue us from what we had wanted so badly.

In James 1:5, we are told, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.” One day I was in my living room, my mind lamenting over some decision I wished had been made differently! So gently God reminded me of this verse. He remembered my frame and knew I was dust. He wasn’t glaring at me, reminding me of failures. He wasn’t making me feel like a “heel” because I needed His understanding and was longing for wisdom. He was mercifully holding out love and forgiveness, a treasure house full of wisdom for the asking, and a Hand to guide me from where I was to where I needed to go.

He is ever ready to hear our call for help. His eye sees ALL. And if we find ourselves at the “top of the perch” and can’t get down, HIS MERCY ENDURES FOREVER!

O, God. When I think I know what I want, help me to remember You know me better than myself. Keep me surrendered. Today, tomorrow, for always – my desire is to be full of Your wisdom.

Janene A. Dubbeld/FGG

Take it with You
“O give thanks unto the God of gods: for his mercy endures for ever.” (Psalm 136:2)

No comments: