Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Work or Wonder?

Matthew 26:6-13

It was around 5:30 a.m. Stumbling through the dim light of the living room I vaguely “viewed” two shadowy figures! No, it wasn’t burglars this November morning, it was my two older sons, at this time ages 10 and 12. The table was completely set -- thankfully no coffee brewing! I convinced them to go back to bed for at least little while as Dad wasn’t ready to get up yet! See, it was Dad’s birthday. My 10 year old was CONVINCED that HE was making him a wonderful breakfast. Eggs . . . eggs . . . eggs. . . . and the whole works.

He went to bed -- for awhile. Then he was up again. By this time I was endeavoring to have my quiet time. He waited patiently - as patiently as an anxious 10 year old could wait. Finally, I made it to the kitchen to help with the preparations of this wonderful event.

And . . . it was wonderful . . . until it was over. GRRR! There were the dishes to be done, the kitchen to be cleaned. I started to bark my proverbial motherly orders (did I sound like the Proverbs 31 woman? HMMMM!) Then, it hit me. Who cared about the mess? It depended on how I “viewed it!” My 10 year old viewed it all with wonder. The wonder of pleasing dad, of giving him the best he could -- and it pleased his father. Now, I could share in the wonder, or grumble at the work.

Can’t help but think of Mary anointing the feet of our Lord. What wonder as she worshiped at His feet? The disciples only saw the money . . . “the work” they could do for the poor, what an excuse! Did Simon see the work? Did any of the oil spill over on to the floor? Was there “work” in cleaning it up? Even if there was, what wonder! The smell must have lasted for days; the wonder of her giving her best has lasted for decades and will last for eternity.

Oh, God. Sometimes in the busyness of my days I forget to view the wonder. All I see is work! Wipe off the lens of my glasses, adjust my binoculars, help me see beyond the obvious, and view with wonder the truly important. Let my vision be Yours.

Take It With You!

“Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.”

Psalm 103:1 (NIV)

1 comment:

Mitzi said...

Love this one Janene. Too often we get so busy and see things as "just one more thing to do". Thank God for reminding us through the small things that He is most important!